CS469 - Linux and Unix Administration and Networking
This is the website for CS469 - Linux and Unix Administration and Networking taught by Steve Baker
Click on the links on the left for information about the course.
- Lesson 1 - Intro to CS469, Vi, Wildcards
Covers basic commands, the Vi editor, basic wildcard expansion in the shell.
- Lesson 2 - Files and Paths, Inodes and ACLs
Covers Files and Path resolution, Inodes, Permissions and Access Control Lists, File links
- Lesson 3 - The FHS, find and Regular Expressions
Covers the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, Finding things with find and locate and Regular expressions
- Bash Scripting:
- Lesson 7 - Common scripting utilities and programs
A number of programs commonly used in scripting with examples.
- Lesson 8 - Processes and Threads
Processes and Threads, Attributes of a process, signaling processes, process resource limits and core files.
- Lesson 9 - Libraries, The Boot process and Partitioning
Shared libraries, The boot process and Init, Partitioning and Partition tables
- Lesson 10 - Paritioning and File-systems continued
The DD command, Swap files and partitions, File-system management commands
- Lesson 11 - Making File-systems, device files,
Making and checking file-systems, Device files and the
/dev filesystem, The
/etc/fstab file and monitoring disk I/O
- Lesson 12 - RAID - Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks
Covers the various RAID levels and using the MD (Multiple-Disk) device driver and the
mdadm utility to manage RAID arrays.
- Lesson 13 - Basic User Administration and Quotas
Covers User administration, password and group files, switching users/groups and user disk quotas.
- Lesson 14 - Basic MySQL / MariaDB Administration
Covers the basic administration of a MySQL or MariaDB
- Lesson 15 - Certificates
Covers basics of certificates and using the
openssl command line tool to create a certificate authority and sign certificates. Some discussion of encryption basics.
- Lesson 16 - Introduction to networking concepts
Covers basic networking terminology, the OSI networking model and SSH usage and administration
- Lesson 17 - Packets, Ethernet and ARP/DNS
Covers structure of packets, Ethernet and the ARP and DNS protocols and associated files and commands.
- Lesson 18 - IPv4 and CIDR
Covers structure of IP packets and Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) sub-netting.
- Study Guide
Covers all the commands covered in the class.